World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Public Health Officer
Ref No: 1703192
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration: 6 Months
Objectives of the Programme
- The mission of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to build the capacity of Member States to manage health emergency risks and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain outbreaks and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations
Description of Duties
- Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected)
The incumbent will perform some or all of the following duties:
- Assess threats to human life and health, damage to health infrastructure for primary and secondary care, the state of health referral and support systems, including cold chain, laboratory, essential drugs and health information systems, and the vital needs of the affected populations.
- Collaborate with national authorities and health partners to coordinate and implement public health response activities as part of the health cluster’s strategic response; analyse existing coordination mechanisms, designing and recommending improvements.
- Provide analysis of the public health risks, needs and capacities and advise on priority interventions for WHO and partners; challenges and operational course correctors, as applicable.
- Coordinate meetings with all relevant partners and incident management team, producing and circulating minutes, related decisions and tracking the latter, and developing detailed “lessons learnt” reports, recommending improvement to current and future field operations.
- Provide input to communications and information products (Sitreps, health cluster bulletins, outbreak bulletins etc.) as required.
- Ensure compliance with IASC principles and the Humanitarian Programme Cycle in delivering WHO’s health response.
- Monitor progress towards achievement of universal health coverage; analyse social determinants of health and their impact on the incident management system, including identifying inequities, gaps in the delivery of health services or emergency interventions, recommending appropriate actions and innovative approaches to improve the situation.
- Facilitate the implementation of effective, evidence-based policies, public health programmes and interventions through all life cycles, this might include maternal and new born health, health promotion and education, NCDs, the elderly, social determinant of health, violence and injury prevention including road safety, gender and health equity and other related areas.
- Secure information from a broad range of health sectors, analysing such and consolidating health data in trends and trends assessment, with particular attention to surveillance, monitoring and early warning. Position Description – Professional
- Perform any other related incident-specific duties, as required by the functional supervisor
- Essential: University degree in public health and/or health-related fields from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Desirable: Master’s or Doctorate degree in public health. Post graduate studies or specialized training in emergency response or disaster management in the context of public health. Diploma in tropical medicine or diploma in disaster management
- Essential: At least five years of relevant experience, at the national and international levels, in public health in emergencies response or health sector coordination, with emphasis on managing outbreaks and health emergencies and/ or health consequences of emergencies and crises in capacity building, developing and promoting collaborative partnerships.
- Desirable: Relevant work experience in WHO, other UN agencies, health cluster partners, recognized humanitarian organizations or relevant nongovernmental or humanitarian organizations.
- Experience in capacity building programme planning/development, project management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with resource mobilization in emergency settings.
- In-depth knowledge of public health programmes with focus on prevention and control of NCDs and major risk factors, health system, and the Millennium Development Goals.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of operational management of health aspects/consequences of humanitarian crises and outbreaks in field settings.
- Demonstrated skills in capacity building, proposal and report writing, knowledge of and experience with needs assessments in emergency settings, strategic information analysis and planning and ability to anticipate new trends in the field of public health and take actions accordingly.
- Managerial skills for the development, implementation and analysis of technical cooperation programmes and activities, including the development of programmatic indicators
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NGN 18,590,296 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted.
- Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered
Application Deadline 24th October, 2017.