UNICEF Job for an Education Specialist in Maiduguri, Borno
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Education Specialist – EiE, (P-3)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
For every child, a champion
UNICEF Nigeria recently scaled up its integrated humanitarian response plan, and is leading humanitarian response in the education, WASH and nutrition sectors in the country, as well as the child protection sub-sector. UNICEF Nigeria provided financial and technical assistance towards forming the National Health Policy, and also successfully advocated for making Primary Health Care a priority for the sector. With our support, more than 3.8 million people accessed primary healthcare services in 2016, and nearly 390,000 children were vaccinated against measles and 165,550 families received insecticide treated bed-nets. We are currently tackling the resurgence of wild poliovirus. UNICEF Nigeria is also providing critical support to the national HIV program.
We are looking for motivated and energetic professionals who are ready to aim high for every child.
How can you make a difference?
Under the technical guidance of the Chief of Education, Basic Education Section, Abuja, the incumbent coordinates UNICEF education response in northeast Nigeria under the L3 including the overall coordination, oversight and development of strategies, action plans and other relevant and required documents, oversee procurements and supply processes, provide technical expertise in support of achieving results, working with the education team in Borno Field Office and other sections. Accountable for effective planning, building capacity, monitoring and reporting of education program, in support of the Education Section:
- Provide professional technical assistance on EiE (Education in Emergencies) for programme development and management by collecting and analyzing data and monitoring implementation progress.
- Prepare programme work plans as required. Propose adjustments/changes in work plans. Propose program recommendations for inclusion in formal programme documentation, and new approaches, methods and practices for supervisor.
- Contribute to staff development and training
- Manage and monitor grant expenditures, ensuring funds are expended as planned.
- Oversee procurement, disbursement, monitoring and reporting of supplies
- Provide government authorities with technical assistance and supports in planning and organizing training programmes for the purpose of capacity building and programme sustainability
- Oversee required assessments in the states on education related issues e.g. schools, teachers and students. Maintain database on relevant data on children disaggregated by gender and geography
- Facilitate partnership and collaboration with internal and external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate data and information, exchange information on programme/project status and implementation.
- Develop proposals, strategies and action plans to expand UNICEF’s response to EiE as required including log frames and budgets.
- Undertakes field visits to monitor and assess programme implementation and decides on required corrective action.
- Prepare quality and timely reports, narrative and financial, ensuring information is update and accurate.
- Manage education staff and consultants at the field office/state level and provide technical guidance on programmatic interventions.
Qualification of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in education, economics, psychology, sociology or other social science field is required.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in programme planning, management, and/or research in education at the international level, some of which preferably in a developing country is required.
- Experience working effectively in a multi-cultural and sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, to varied audiences, formally and informally.
- Applies and shares technical knowledge to government partners and national officials.
- High analytical skills using diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative information from a wide range of sources.
- Proven ability to work in harsh condition
- Experience in Nigeria an asset.
- Demonstrated ability in project management, preferably within humanitarian context.
- Experience working in the UN or other international development organization an asset.
- Demonstrated understanding of education in emergencies and schools under attack.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of the local language of the duty station is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
- Please note that this is a non-family duty station.
- Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
Application Deadline 2nd November, 2017.