Recruitment at British High Commission
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Press and Public Affairs Officer
Ref No: 15/17 LOS
Grade: B3 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 24 months
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Communications, Press and Media
Main Purpose of Job
- This is an exciting role in a part of Africa that has received renewed UK and Ministerial attention since the election in 2015 of President Buhari.
- The role is based in Lagos, contributing to the larger communications team based in Abuja.
Reporting to the Head of Communications in Abuja, the successful candidate will work within the Communications Team as the Lagos based Press and Public Affairs Officer.
- The main objectives are to deliver and implement a range of communications tasks to support and project the objectives of HMG in Nigeria. Duties will include, but will not be limited to, designing text and audio-visual material for use on the BHC media channels, and working with a broad range of media stakeholders to deliver HMG messages.
- The successful candidate will also provide tailored communications planning support to HMG departments working on the BHC platform.
Roles and responsibilities / what will the jobholder be expected to achieve?
- Work with Lagos based HMG departments, including British Council, DFID, DIT UKVI to establish and implement appropriate campaign plans ensuring cross HMG communication is coordinated both within Lagos and across the network
- Monitor digital, print and broadcast media for issues of interest to the UK mission in Nigeria
Effectively manage media relationships acting as the first point of contact for interviews and media requests including drafting news releases and press lines
- Provide media support to the Deputy British High Commissioner and British High Commissioner on visits to Lagos and the South West.
- Create graphics to communicate messages that inspire, inform and engage audiences on the BHC digital channels.
- Photograph and record BDHC and other HMG departments’ activities as required
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Thorough knowledge of social media, including the ability design strategy and analyse usage in order to shape BHC engagement and to focus campaigns
- Appropriate work experience in a media, marketing, advertising or public relations role
- Excellent analytical, writing, communication and presentation skills
3 to 5 years experience work experience in a media, advertising, marketing or public relations role
Familiarity with messaging for digital diplomacy
- Strong collaborative skills including professional and confident communication with external stakeholders and team members
- Ability to maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
- Evidence of maintaining effective professional networks of contacts
- Evidence of designing and delivering communications plans
- The ability to work as part of a busy, creative team, as well as willingness to provide support to team members when needs be
- Familiarity with messaging for digital diplomacy
- Resilience, flexibility and ability to deliver quality under pressure and strict timelines
- Project or event management/experience
Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service
Starting monthly salary
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should apply through here