Manager, State & Local Government Affairs at MTN Nigeria
MTN Nigeria – The leader in telecommunications in Nigeria, and a part of a diverse community in Africa and the Middle East, our brand is instantly recognisable. It is through our compelling brand that we are able to attract the right talents who we carefully nurture by continuously improving our employment offerings even beyond reward and recognition.
Job Title: Manager, State & Local Government Affairs
- To relate with and manage Government and other stakeholders at the State and Local Government levels, including the State Houses of Assembly, all State and Local Government Agencies and parastatals, to ensure that the activities of the company to a large extent is continuous and is not impeded by government red tapism, regulations and policies that are inimical to MTN’s operational interest.
- Research and identify new ways to generate revenue, as well as cost saving opportunities arising from competitive or regulatory developments.
- Identify all proposed Policies claims , and other issues of the State & Local Governments across the country that are likely to impact legally, socially, economically on MTN operations and prepare submissions and inputs accordingly
- Monitor application of extant State and Local Government Policies, Laws & By-Laws to MTN operations by the relevant agencies & Authorities
- Coordinate and advise on MTN’s CSR initiatives at the State & Local Government level together with other relevant internal stakeholder Groups/Divisions
- Coordinate the regulatory activities of all MTN’s regional regulatory personnel
- Draft and manage interconnects agreements and prepare capacity leasing agreements with incumbent operators and new entrants.
- Identify policy issues that impact MTN and create a strategy to maintain and/or improve potential outcomes.
- Review prepared infrastructure sharing guidelines/ agreements and national and international roaming agreements.
- Influence the telecommunications sector competitive policies to attain a level playing field as well as monitor compliance with interconnect agreement and all interconnect related issues in the industry.
- Regularly engage with these stakeholders to analyze the impact of current and future legislative and regulatory issues/trends
- Create and manage of a Relationship data base on MTN’s regional operations
- Monitor key legislative opportunities and risks for the company and alert internal stakeholders about them while identifying possible solutions to potential challenges
- Represent MTN at trade association, government, coalition and other industry stakeholder meetings
- Engage directly with state and local government groups to strengthen MTN’s relationships with key decision makers
- Undertake general & periodic audit of events and developments in the various segments of Government at the State & Local Council levels across Nigeria that impact on MTN operations
- Build awareness among internal stakeholders of key state policy decisions affecting the telecommunications industry in the present and in the future
- Cross functional interface with other units especially the Legislative Affairs Unit, to improve the legislative environment and to help enhance MTN’s reputation in state capitals
- Negotiate with various communities, resolve local community issues and differences and ensure harmonious relations exist.
- Support management and advice MTN N on interconnects agreements/relationship, license conditions and compliance with regulations and legislation.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners
- Advice stakeholder Groups within the company on compliance with relevant extant State & Local Government Policies & Laws
- Build relationships with state and local government entities and identify risks and key legislative opportunities to drive MTN’s strategy and engagement at the state and local levels.
- Continuously seek self-professional development to sharpen skills and capabilities in a versatile and evolving digital landscape.
- Foster active collaboration and relationships with employees across all levels and divisions in line with MTN’s VB and values.
- Normal MTNN working conditions
- May be required to work extended hours
- Tool of trade vehicle provided
- Occasional travel (mostly local) often at short notice
Experience & Training
- First degree in any relevant discipline
- Fluent in English
- LLB or other recognized law degree
- Minimum 6 years’ experience which includes:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in an area of specialization with experience in supervising/managing others.
- In depth experience and understanding of the Nigerian telecommunications industry and regulatory framework
- Experience in a commercial legal environment, alternatively within a legal & regulatory control body
- Experience within the telecommunication environment is desirable
- Effective stakeholder relationship management experience in a telecoms regulatory environment
- People Management skills.
- Project Management.
- Courses, Seminars, Conferences and workshops in Government Relations and Stakeholder Engagement
- Management Development Program
- Management Development Program
- BA, B.Ed, B.Sc, BT.ech or LLB.
Application Closing Date
25th January, 2018
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online