Job at UNICEF for a TA – Nutrition Officer, NOB
Deadline : 6th October 2017
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: TA – Nutrition Officer, NOB – (364 Days)
Job Number: 507359
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Purpose of this Assignment
- The position will provide specific support to the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the biannual Maternal, Newborn and Child Health Week (MNCHW) taking place in November and May, and the planned scale up of Micronutrient Powder (MNP) in five Northern Nigeria States of Adamawa, Bauchi, Borno, Kebbi and Yobe to improve micronutrient status among children and women in Nigeria.
- Assist to design and plan strategies for biannual MNCHW implementation.
- Collect and analyse programme data, prepare periodic progress updates and programme reports on timely manner on MNDC.
- Assist in drafting and editing nutrition articles, press releases, human interest stories and other nutrition advocacy/information materials for both web-based and traditional media, in the respective programme areas.
- Identify gaps in the implementation of the MNCHW and MNP programmes and propose appropriate measures and corrective actions to address the gaps.
- Assist in ensuring appropriateness of financial, administrative and micronutrients supply documentation; verify that project expenditures are consistent with work plans.
- Support the government to develop work plans and budgets for MNCHW programme implementation.
- Support the government to implement recommendations from the recent external evaluation of the MNCH week evaluation.
- Conduct regular and effective monitoring and validation of MNCHW activities in beneficiary states and local government areas (LGAs).
- Coordinate development of training and orientation packages to promote knowledge sharing.
- Contribute to UNICEF emergency response in North-East by supporting to scale up MNCHW and MNP/micronutrients interventions.
- Carry out any other activity that may contribute to the achievement of UNICEF’s Nigeria Nutrition milestones.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies Required
University Degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health and Nutrition, Health Sciences, International Health and Nutrition, Public Health and Nutrition Policy and Management, Family and Community Health and Nutrition, Nutritional Epidemiology, Health and Nutrition Education, Health and Nutrition Promotion and Disease Prevention, or other relevant discipline(s).
A minimum of two years of relevant professional work experience. Experience in micronutrient programming, particularly MNCHW in Nigeria and Micronutrient Powder Supplementation programmes an asset.
Experience in monitoring gender inequalities and in nutrition programming interventions that reduce these disparities and background and familiarity with emergency are added advantage
Fluency in English (both written and spoken) and local working language of the duty station are required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: