Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation’s Science without Borders Challenge is an international art competition that engages students to promote the need to preserve, protect, and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources.
Application Deadline: 23rd April, 2018 by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time).
Results Announcement Expected: May 2018
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Online
About the Award: The theme for the 2018 Science without Borders Challenge is “Why Coral Reefs Matter.”
For this year’s Challenge, use your imagination to create a piece of art that illustrates a made-up Reef SuperSpecies. A Reef SuperSpecies is an organism (plant or animal) that has found a way to adapt to a deadly threat facing coral reef ecosystems. You can make up an organism or base your organism off of an already existing reef organism.
The Science without Borders Challenge was created to get students and teachers interested in ocean conservation through various forms of art. This annual contest inspires students to be creative while learning about important ocean conservation issues.
Offered Since: 2013
Eligibility: The Science Without Borders Challenge is open to primary and secondary school students 11-19 years old. Students must be enrolled in primary or secondary school, or the home school equivalent. College and university students are not eligible for this contest.
Work will be judged in two categories, with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes awarded for each:
- 11 – 14 year-olds
- 15 – 19 year-olds
We encourage teacher submissions! Be sure each entry has the name of the artist and their age written in pencil on the back of it. If your student(s) are under the age of 13, make sure the COPPA form is completely filled out for each one. The artwork can be shipped in one package.
- All artwork must be an original work by the contestant and shall not infringe on any copyrights or any other rights of any third parties. For instance, drawing a character from a cartoon or movie is not considered an original work.
- The artwork must be 2D such as a painting or drawing. Acceptable media include: paint, pencil, marker, crayon, ink, and oil pastel. Digitally created artwork, including photographs, are not accepted.
- You must send your original artwork. Digital copies of artwork are NOT permitted.
- All submissions must be made by an individual artist. Group submissions are not permitted.
- Participants may submit only 1 art piece.
- Write your first and last name and age in pencil on the back of your artwork.
- Fill out all required information on the Entry Forms (pages 5-7).
- Artwork and art descriptions may be used in publications and distributed to the media.
- The Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation reserves the right to disqualify artwork deemed offensive.
- If the explanation of artwork or the artwork itself is plagiarized, then it will be disqualified.
- Entries that do not comply with all of the contest rules will be disqualified.
Selection Process: A panel of artists, educators, and scientists will be formed to judge the Science Without Borders® Challenge. Artwork will be evaluated on the quality of the artwork, originality, and adherence to the theme.
Number of Awardees:
Value of Contest: Winners of the Science Without Borders® Challenge will be publicly announced. Prizes awarded to contestant winners are as follows:
- 1st Place: $500
- 2nd Place: $350
- 3rd Place: $200
How to Apply: Contestants must submit Entry Forms with their submission. It is preferred that you submit your forms online at www.lof.org/SWBChallenge. All fields on the Entry Forms must be filled out in order to be considered for awards.
All original artwork should be mailed to:
Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation
Science Without Borders® Challenge
130 Severn Avenue, Suite 100 Annapolis, MD 21403
FOR STUDENTS UNDER THE AGE OF 13 All participants (USA and international) under the age of 13, must have a parent/guardian fill out the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) Notice Form (page 9 of the Entry Form). Send this form in with your artwork. If we do not receive this form and you are under the age of 13, you will be disqualified from the Science without Borders® Challenge.
Visit Contest Webpage for details
Award Provider: Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation