7 Ways To Stay Motivated While Looking For A Job
- The job search can be frustrating and draining, but here’s how to keep your spirits up and boost your chances of getting hiredThe ability to get — and stay — motivated during a job hunt is one of the most critical skills for anyone looking for work. This is especially true today, when it takes considerably more time and energy to find employment than it did a decade ago.
1. Be realistic about the job-search time frame.
- Brace yourself for the inevitable speed bumps of a job search. For example, don’t expect to land an interview within a week or two of starting your hunt.
2. Believe in yourself.
- Like a successful salesperson, you must believe that what you’re selling has value. When looking for a job, you’re essentially selling yourself and your experience.
3. Take a project-management approach.
- Break down the search process into a series of goals, spread out over time. For example, give yourself one week to draft a resume & cover letter. Other suggested milestones:
- Within one month: Network face to face with 15 to 20 people who could help you find work.
- Within three months: Secure three job interviews…etc
4. Evaluate your progress.
- Take time out once a week to assess how your job search is going.
- Ask yourself: What have I done? What haven’t I done? What’s working? What isn’t?
5. Keep your body, mind and soul healthy.
- How you take care of yourself while job hunting can have a huge impact on your productivity in finding work. Make sure you eat well, exercise regularly and get enough sleep.
6. Learn how to handle rejection.
- Getting turned down by prospective employers is tough.
- The way to handle rejection is to look at it the way a successful salesperson does: It’s a numbers game where every “no” gets you one step closer to the “yes” you need.
7. Take time off.
- Five hours of job hunting a day is draining. So step back from time to time to avoid burning out.
- And try not to look for a job on weekends. That’s the time to enjoy yourself and to relax with the people you care most about.
We wish you all the best on your journey towards greatness.